Sunday, January 26, 2014

Teachers Evaluation of Me

Last year, I wrote a blog about the importance and value of teachers having the opportunity to evaluate their administrators. 

At the turn of our semesters, I again asked the teachers I oversee to evaluate me as their lead learner. I've always considered myself to be my own harshest critic, so the results were uplifting.

Below are the survey results and my corresponding goals for the second term.

Survey Results (lowest to highest with 1=Poor, 2=Fair, 3=Good, 4=Superb)
Question/Statement
Average
(Jan 2014)
Last Year
Change
Develops and uses procedures for dealing with student misconduct that are prompt, fair and reasonable.
3.6
3.83
-.23
Monitors classroom performance on a regular basis, offering pathways to improve student performance through improved teaching.
3.67
3.77
-.1
Evaluates staff and provides timely feedback
3.7
3.57
+.2
Demonstrates awareness of professional issues and development in education
3.8
3.87
-.07
Enforces the student code of conduct in a firm and fair manner.
3.8
3.87
-.07
Applies policies and procedures in a fair and equitable manner
3.8
3.94
-.14
Provides direction for improving instruction
3.86
3.67
+.19
Manages time to be an instructional leader as a priority.
3.87
3.79
+.08
Ensures that there is an appropriate and logical alignment between what is being taught and state and county standards.
3.87
3.82
+.05
Keeps teachers informed about the school and its functions
3.87
3.93
-.06
Provides and promotes a climate for learning that is safe and orderly
3.93
3.94
-.01
Shares responsibility to maximize ownership and accountability
3.93
3.89
+.04
Accepts responsibility
3.93
4
-.07
Demonstrates values, beliefs, and attitudes that inspire others to higher levels of performance.
3.93
3.94
-.01
Treats people fairly, equitably and with dignity and respect
3.93
4
-.07
Is available to discuss professional and other issues.
3.93
3.83
+.1
Articulates and promotes high expectations for teaching and student learning
4
3.88
+.12
Provides specific guidance for teachers trying to solve instructional problems
4
3.72
+.18
Stays well informed about professional issues and share this information with appropriate people
4
3.94
+.06
Demonstrates ethical, trustworthy and professional behavior
4
3.84
+.016
Communicates effectively and openly with teachers and staff
4
3.94
+.06

I’d like to share a couple of strategies intended to improve on my weaknesses. In regards to student misconduct, we are examining the use of restorative justice. We’ve used it with great successes multiple times first term, and I think we can use it more. It’s non-traditional. I’ve blogged about it here. Additionally, it’s important that I make dealing with misconduct a higher priority. Far too often, minor referrals have been placed on the back burner. Finally, I will do a better job of discussing and explaining disciplinary matters with the referring teacher.

In regards, to the second and third lowest-scoring statements, my hope is to have more frequent conversations with teachers. In addition to scheduling walk-throughs and observations, I’ll be scheduling follow-up conversations (so don’t be surprised to see calendar reminders). In addition to providing targeted feedback, these conversations will give us an opportunity to discuss student progress.  After all, student progress is responsibility shared by students, teachers and administrators.

When I interviewed for this job, I said my job would be to make the job of teachers easier, more efficient and better, so I take your responses to heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading and appreciating your blog for the past few months. I just wanted to let you know that I'm incredibly impressed by the level of honesty and transparency you show here. As a young teacher, I aspire to having the courage you show here to share your teachers' feedback with the world and also your plan for improving. Kudos!